Monday, February 10, 2020

Sunshine & Happiness Shaker Card

Sunshine & Happiness Shaker Card
This card was inspired by one of my incredibly talented stamping friends.  We were looking over some of the die sets I had on my table at workshop, especially the Birthday Dies that coordinate with the Sale-a-Bration set Happy Birthday to you.  She spotted the cake stand and said "That would be so cute with a glass dome over it.  BOOM!  I thought of the dies that coordinate with our Honey Bee Stamp Set, Detailed Bee Dies.  It had a die in it to use with the bee hive.  Perfect!  Of course I had to make it a shaker card. 
 I will list most of the products I used below.  The only item I think I won't be able to specifically direct you to is the cup cake sticker.  I pulled it from my "left over everything box".  I bet you have one of those, and there may be something in it you would like to use.
My card is a 4 x 4 card, made from a piece of white card stock 4 x 8 inches long scored and folded on the 4 inch mark.  You can make it open from the bottom, or the side, your preference.  Next I cut a piece of DSP 4 x 4 inches from the Birthday Bonanza Designer Series Paper.  If that is not available to you when you are reading this, any subtle design paper in your choice of color is fine to use.  Pick something that will coordinate well with what you are putting in your dome.  Adhere it to the top of your card securely.  I use tear away double sided tape.  Now, put the card to the side for a few steps.
My top piece of card stock is cut 3 3/4 x 3 3/4 inches.
I die cut my cake stand, and die cut the bee hive dome piece from the white card stock in the position you need it.  I lay my cake stand on my card and use a pencil to put a small faint dot where I need to place the die.  I stamped the sentiment next around the top.  I was careful to mold it close to the dome.  It is already curved, I just brought it in a little.  I used the confetti from the So Sentimental stamp set.  Again, any cluster of dots or texture would do.  I colored the confetti with Stampin Blends.  I used colors that went with my background paper.  (listed below).
Now, on the back of your top white card stock (the one you have just stamped), secure a 3 1/2 x 3 1/2 piece of window sheet (Mylar).  If you haven't done so already, attach your cake stand on the front with glue dots, and wrap the piece of twine around your card stock at the bottom about three times and tie with a bow.  I secure the twine with glue dots on the back to keep it from moving, and the bow on the front too.
You are ready to work on your shaker now.  Position and attach your sticker, stamped image, or whatever you are using in place.  I use pencil dots a lot when I assemble things.  Just lay your window over it to check that it is centered, but don't attach yet. On the back of your window, use foam adhesive strips close to your window and create a border around your window, like a cup, for your elements to move in. The next step is IMPORTANT---with a small paint brush, brush the inside walls of this cup where your elements will touch with a dab of powder, cornstarch, flour, whatever you have to remove the stick where the elements will touch.  This lets them move freely.  But DON'T get the powder on top of the foam, or it will not stick back to your card well and you will loose your elements.  Not fun.
Now I sprinkle a few sequins, or elements of your choice on your sticker or image. Not too many, you still want to be able to see it.  Add some Stampin Dimensionals around the edges of your card stock so it will sit level, then pop your top piece of card stock on top watching not to catch any sequins under the foam tape.
Product List

No comments:

Post a Comment